If you have concerns regarding the treatment you have received from your dentist, then the New Zealand Dental Association may be able to help.  If your dentist is a member of the NZDA then you will be able to make use of their complaints services in resolving your concerns. 


What do you need to do?

To help reach a quick resolution, the NZDA suggest you follow these two steps:

  1. If you haven't already done so, please contact your dentist and discuss the issue with him/her (or write them a letter if you find this easier, they are required to respond to you). Many misunderstandings can be resolved just by taking this simple step.
  2. If you are unable to resolve your concern with the dentist, your next step should be to put your complaint in writing, and send it to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. (NCLO)  

When writing your complaint, remember to include:

  • your name, address and daytime telephone number, including area code
  • the name and address of the dentist involved in your complaint or enquiry
  • copies of any letters or other documents that may help us to understand your complaint
  • a description of the complaint - state what happened, including the dates and the names of any other people involved, and then most importantly state how you see this being resolved in a manner that is fair to yourself and the dentist concerned.

What happens next?

  1. Your written complaint will be assessed by the NCLO, who will contact you if he/she needs any further information.
  2. The NCLO will contact the dentist concerned, and give him/her an opportunity to respond.
  3. The case will be reviewed fairly and impartially by the NCLO, who will consider ways to resolve the situation. He or she may then contact you and the dentist to try and achieve a resolution that is acceptable to both parties. This service is free.

For more information on dispute resolution visit www.nzda.org.nz